New car owners in Fullerton are often surprised when they find out their new vehicle uses Synthetic oil. Additionally, they discover a synthetic oil change is about twice the cost of the standard oil change. So when did this new costly upgrade happen and is it really benefiting me and my vehicle?
For starters, since 2019 about 70% of newer vehicles recommended using synthetic oil or a synthetic blend oil for their engines. We’ll get into synthetic blends in another article, for now lets stick with synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is generally a better choice for performance and the longevity of your vehicle. This is based on the fact that synthetic oil protects your engine due to lower levels of friction which tends to protect your engine better at extreme low and high tempters. Moreover, synthetic oils don’t break down as quickly as a standard oil meaning you can go further distances in between oil changes that helps to save money in the down the road.
So lets take a look at what synthetic oil is. Synthetic oil is artificially made from a variety of chemical compounds. They are then broken down and then rebuilt into new petroleum molecules. However, The base material, is still primarily crude oil that is distilled and then modified physically and chemically. There are multiple types of synthetics with distinctly different properties and applications that vary based on the ultimate standards of your vehicle.
Here are a few benefits of using Synthetic Oil:
- Synthetics have a naturally higher viscosity index. Meaning, the viscosity changes less as temperature changes during normal engine startup and operating conditions as a result of being a more stable compound than standard oil.
- Synthetic engine oils are generally less volatile than standard oils. This means there is less loss of the oil to the engine’s exhaust stream causing air pollution. This could also mean less need for adding oil between oil changes.
- At extremely low temperatures, it is possible for mineral oils to become so thick (high viscosity) that the oil is non-pumpable making it unable to circulate effectively within the engine.
- Getting a longer engine life in most vehicles. Many Fullerton drivers have never owned a vehicle that lasted long enough to hit the 200,000 miles mark on their engine. But, with so many new vehicles using synthetic oils these days we will soon see more drivers every year achieving that goal.
- Synthetic oil has a longer lifespan than conventional oil. The recommended change interval for synthetic oil is around every 5,000 to 7,000 miles or 6 to 8 months, with some brands lasting much longer (15,000 to 25,000).
In conclusion, for many vehicles, synthetic oils may be a better choice for overall engine operation, performance and longevity. Unless the biggest factor affecting your selection of lubrication is only the cost. If you like the idea of fewer oil changes, upgrading to synthetic oil is the obvious choice, call Orozco’s Auto Service of Fullerton today at 714-537-0076. Keep your vehicle in good condition and ensure the safety of yourself, your loved ones, and those around you!
Orozco’s Auto Service Fullerton – Orange County, CA
1018 W. Orangethorpe Avenue, Fullerton, CA 92833, USA
Call Today: 714-525-3239 – Auto | Fleet | Diesel | Service, Maintenance and Repair